Karen Scott Memorial Service

Celebration of the Life of Karen Scott

Saturday, August 13, 2016 • 3 p.m.• Newberg Friends Church


Karen by flowering tree


Karen Margaret Dicus was born on February 7, 1942, to Randall O. and Margaret C. Dicus in Portland, Oregon. In 1944, the family moved to Spokane, Washington, where Karen grew up.

After graduating from Shadle Park High School, Karen attended Seattle Pacific College, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in piano performance.

She married Craig Pinkerton in 1965 in Seattle. The couple had three daughters—Carmen Marie, Lisa Christine, and Linda Kathleen. During these years Karen worked at Maple Leaf Evangelical Church as the secretary from 1968 to 1978. The couple divorced in 1978.

In 1979, Karen married Chuck Scott in Seattle, where they made their new home. In 1986 the family moved to southern California because Chuck got a job at World Vision International. Karen started working for English Language Institute/China (ELIC) as a bookkeeper. In 1989 they moved to Hong Kong along with her youngest daughter,  Linda. They lived in Hong Kong for five years, serving with ELIC.

After Linda’s graduation from high school in Hong Kong, they moved to Newberg, Oregon. In 1995, Karen started working for Newberg First United Methodist Church, where she served as secretary and bookkeeper for the next 18 years until she retired.

In 2002, Karen was diagnosed with breast cancer.  After surgery and radiation treatment she made a complete recovery.

During these years Karen started several ensemble music groups. She also played piano and organ duets with a friend, gave numerous concerts, and made several CDs. One of her great joys was learning to play the alto saxophone so she could be a part of the newly formed Newberg Community Band.

Over the years Karen enjoyed camping, knitting, crocheting, reading, and stamping, among other activities.

In September 2014, Karen was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She courageously fought the leukemia for three months and was in remission. In February 2016, the leukemia returned. In April it was determined to be incurable, and on July 25, 2016, she passed away at home.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.